Proof-of-Concept Mobile OpenRoaming routers based on OpenWrt.
Probably the smallest in the world? :-)
- Previous mobile eduroam/Cityroam/OpenRoaming routers based on MikroTik hAP ac and hAP ac lite (2020)
("lite" cannot be used in Japan due to the radio conformity regulations.)
- New router based on GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) (2021)
(2.4GHz band only)
- New router based on GL.iNet GL-AR750 (Creta) (2021)
- Based OpenWrt 21.02.0-rc3 (as of writing) (firmware: Mango, Creta)
- Truely pocket-sized.
- Fully-managed mobile router emitting eduroam, Cityroam, and OpenRoaming.
- Fast VPN tunnel by WireGuard to protect user communications from owners, LAN operators, etc. RADIUS traffic is also protected.
- Easy operation: Simply connect the LAN and USB power, and the service will be up.
- Only wired network is supported for the uplink. There's no Wi-Fi uplink support.
- Difficult to punch through the captive portal wall at the venue.
- There's no user interface for the owner to change any mode. (Hard to solve due to the lack of admin/normal user separation in OpenWrt)
- WireGuard cannot go through at some venues using tough network filters.
- Wi-Fi performance may not be so good. No MIMO. No Wi-Fi 6.